Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Unteachability


In my previous post I reviewed a book titled, "Hazards of Being a Man". If you read the review, you know that I thought it was fantastic. One of the hazards mentioned in the book really caught me unawares. I never really thought of myself in that way but looking back it is very evident that I was very unteachable. Interestingly enough, just recently a friend of mine has had some issues with this trap. Not that he was unteachable but people who were over him in a church setting were. They had their views on something and would not budge even though what they practiced in no way lined up with the Scriptures. Nobody. Not pastors, priests, the pope, no one knows everything. It is dangerous to think that we do. Everyone can learn from many different sources; even it it's what not to do(I learned that at the refinery lol). All this to say is that I saw a shining example of teachability at my church this last Sunday in our Adult Bible Fellowship class. Dr. Jim Rosscup. This man has a B.A. from Arizona State University, a Th.D & a Th.M from Dallas Theological Seminary, and a Ph.D., University of Aberdeen, Scotland. He has written books, he's an amazing teacher, he is smart beyond any and all of my comprehension. So with all this hype you probably think he was teaching the class and the question you might be asking is what did I teach him. Nothing. But watching this great, seasoned, knowledgeable man of God sitting in the same class as me, intently taking notes as our associate pastor spoke on a subject I'm positive that Dr. Rosscup could have schooled him on many a time over was a great example to me. I went up and thanked him after the class. He humbly and graciously accepted my thanks. What a great example. Thank you Dr. Jim Rosscup. If the Lord grants me another second on this Earth let me be as teachable as you sir.

1 comment:

  1. Heck, I've learned from Joel Osteen, not that I condone or listen to his teachings. I'm just saying that God can and will use anyone or anything to teach us what He wants us to learn. The man, Dr. Rosscup must fully understand that and the fact that you can hear a sermon/teaching on the same subject numerous times and still take something from it that you've never noticed before. This is especially true with the Bible which has been studied for centuries and never learned to the fullest. Doesn't that speak volumes about it?

    ReplyDelete