Friday, June 25, 2010

Always an Audience of One

Above is a picture of a public park near my house. I will start by saying, "where were the parks like this when I was a kid!?!" Now that we have that out of the way, the reason we went here was for a homeschooling curriculum sale. As we pulled up, I noticed 2 guys in their 20's playing some hoops. I had it in my mind to witness to them even if it meant playing a game of basketball in slippers. So I took my girls to play for a bit then I made my way over to the court. I asked the guys if they were with the home school group and they said they were not. I introduced myself and gave each of them a million dollar bill tract. Bishop, the bigger of the two, was open to the good person test so I took him through it. So mission accomplished, Gospel shared. We played ball with a couple kids from our group who were also there as I talked with Bishop. I know you must be thinking what the point of this story is. I'm not reporting any miraculous conversion after I shared the Gospel or anything so what's the point? Here it is. God's grace showed it's face when Weldon, one of the boys from our group that played with us, came up to me near the end of the book sale. He says, "hey was the the 'What Did Jesus Do' thing you did with that guy back there?" I was floored. Apparently Weldon had taken a Way of the Master class at Sunday school and he recognized it in action.

For those that don't know, WDJD is W-would you consider yourself to be a good person? D-do you feel you've kept the 10 Commandments? J-on Judgment Day will you be innocent or guilty? D-destiny, will you go to Heaven or Hell?

He said he'd never actually seen it used before and that seeing me do it really encouraged him to try it on his own now! To be honest, I was kinda discouraged after sharing with Bishop. I kept thinking of the academy and how we sometimes are preaching to an audience of one, Jesus. Turns out that my audience of One did have plans for that witnessing experience. They might not have been for Bishop. Of course there is the chance that maybe he went home, read the tract and talked to someone else and gave his life to Christ. I'll probably never know in this life. I'm just thankful that God showed me some fruit of obedience in Weldon and in being an encouragement to him. Share your faith guys. You never know who's listening, just know that He is and will use your service for His good works.

1 Corinthians 3:6 (New International Version)

6I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome story Virg. So true about "you never know who's watching"

    ReplyDelete