Thursday, June 24, 2010

Lime in the Eye!!!


For those that haven't seen it, there is a Corona beer commercial where a couple sits on the beach. A woman walks by and the man stares. He keeps his stare on her across the screen. When he turns back, his significant other squirts lime right in his eye. Of course, they ended up making one where the female casts a lustful glare at a passing man. In comes the third commercial in the series that I just saw while watching the World Cup. In the final installment of this 7th Commandment Trilogy, the man watches a group of females pass. As he looks back to his companion, he squirts the lime in his own eye! This immediately reminded me of the Bible verse Matthew 5:29. "If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell." So I got to thinking, "I guess the world understands that concept." The guy knew it was better to burn his eye with lime juice than to be in trouble with his partner. What I still don't think that the world gets is the verse before that one. Matthew 5:28 says a lustful look is the same as adultery in the eyes of God. Jesus said, "You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.'But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart."Now I've heard every excuse or reason from "I'm not gay to it's only looking to I'm only human" when it comes to this topic. To me it just seems better not to take the chance with my eternal destination because of an extra look or too long of a look. Averting my eyes seems a way better option than gouging out my eye, burning for eternity, or even getting a lime in the eye. Maybe you can look without lusting. I don't seem to have that ability so I do my best to look away when at all possible. It's worth it to me because I know that when we are judged by the 10 commandments that God will judge our thoughts as well as our actions in this area. He tells us specifically that adulterers will not inherit His kingdom and I definitely don't want to store up wrath for myself on the day of wrath, do you? Don't forget this is just one of the Commandments we will be judged by. Maybe it's the only one you're guilty of. If you're guilty of one, you've broken them all according to the Bible. So, if you're reading this and you've found yourself guilty against God's Law, repent and trust in Him today!

Romans 2:5 (New International Version)

5But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God's wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment